(PRUnderground) March 10th, 2023
Owning a dog demands many responsibilities and liabilities. As a responsible dog owner, your responsibility doesn’t limit to providing your dogs the best care and sustenance, you need to have a good understanding of your legal responsibilities. The law imposes strict liability on the dog owners for the damage caused by their dogs. You may say that your dog is too friendly and won’t be violent. However, dogs in general have the propensity to attack and as a dog bite is incredibly dangerous, certain laws are there to protect the victim and sue you which may lead to monetary losses for you. So it is essential to know your liabilities to be a responsible dog owner. But what are your responsibilities? Let’s ask an expert.
We reached out to Steven Polak, a renowned personal injury lawyer from Whitby, ON., to explain the dog bite law to you. Here’s what he said…
What If Your Dog Bites Someone?
- According to the Dog Owner’s Liability Act, You(the dog owner) are responsible if your dog bites someone or someone’s dog and are liable to cover all the damages caused to the victims unless it is provoked by the victim.
- In some provinces, in accordance with the one-bite law, you are not responsible if it is the first bite of your dog, as you are probably unaware of the propensity of your dog’s violence. However, in some provinces, this is not applicable.
- In the case of multiple owners, the liability will be shared among the owners. Also, the liability extends to the person who controls the dog at the time of its bite whether it is a friend or family member.
- In case of provable damages caused by your dog, you are responsible to cover the compensation for the following losses.
- Medical or surgery costs
- Pain and emotional damage that the victim suffer
- Loss of income or wages
- Damages to personal property like shoes, clothes, etc…
- Any long-lasting disability including scars.
- The homeowner’s and renter’s insurance policies cover dog bites also to protect you in such situations. However, you need to revise the policy as some insurers limit their coverage to certain dog breeds and even to certain situations. And, also when the claims exceed their limit, you have to pay for the damages above that amount.
- When you’re a pet parent, you must understand that the victim has all the right to seek the help of police, attorneys, and animal support and file a case against you.
- Keep clear records of your dog’s vaccination and medical reports in handy – that will be helpful at the time of your dog’s violent actions.
What Makes Steven Polak – Lerners LLP Stand Out?
Steven Polak & Lerners LLP are multi-time ThreeBestRated® award-winners. Initially, Steven acted for the victims and the insurance company as well. Later he refuses to represent the insurance companies, dedicating his full practice to representing the injured victims and people who have been denied their benefits. Following the principle, “We are here to help”, he aims to provide sensible and reasonable advice or opinions for the clients without forcing them too much. He is a member of The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, The Advocates’ Society, and The Canadian Bar Association.
With his 20+ years of experience, the cases he undertakes are motor vehicle accident lawsuits, accident benefits cases, long-term disability benefits cases, slip and fall lawsuits, and other injury cases. In addition, he has significant experience in handling cases including quadriplegia, paraplegia, orthopaedic fractures, connective tissue pain disorders, brain injury, concussion, mental health fallout from the injuries, etc…
To get to know, visit their website: https://law123.ca/about-us/
Three Best Rated® was created in 2014 with the simple goal of finding the top 3 local businesses, professionals, restaurants, health care providers, and everything in-between, in any city. Every business is meticulously handpicked by our employees. We check business’s reputation, history, complaints, ratings, proximity, satisfaction, trust, cost, general excellence, reviews, and more, using our 50-Point Inspection. We only display businesses that are verified by our employees. Other places will call this “hard work” and “unnecessary”. We call it “due diligence” and “the right thing to do”. Our website is updated on a regular basis for quality and the latest business information.
Three Best Rated has the honor of helping 4 million customers every month find the best businesses in any city – without any effort!
The post Dog Owner? Things To Know About Dog Bite Law – Shares Lerners LLP, A 2023 ThreeBestRated® Award-winning Law Firm, Whitby first appeared on PRUnderground.
Original Press Release.